Sunday, February 23, 2014

Open Letter #10, to a boy in juvie

What are you doing in jail, boy with a face like a misty morning field?  What did you do (what did this world do to you) to find yourself counting minutes between such drab walls?

This morning I dug through dresser drawers and rifled through hangers, searching for a non-gang-affiliated-color shirt, as I do every morning on the days I volunteer.  With a sigh, I settled on a turtleneck the color of a city sidewalk.  Then, wondering about the possibility of red, I slipped into a vest the color of an Oregon barn slick with newly fallen rain and ran for the bus.

I am tired of eschewing vibrant hues, sick of having to favor shades of ash.   When I help you with your reading and math, I want you to remember the first ladybug you ever saw, its bright back like a berry—how it found you the way a raindrop does on a sunny day, its red gleam rippling through you.

When I arrived at the office, I made the mistake of asking the staff about red, which sparked a conversation about the challenge of avoiding so many colors, and though I was told I could wear my vest because as an accent it was less of a concern than say, a full-body suit, I remembered a recent incident in which some of the boys teased me when I wore an orange and blue plaid shirt.  “Nice colors,” they’d snickered, letting me know I was an involuntary cheerleader for some gang and a target for others.  There are many rules here, and I don’t wish to bend any more than I already have, so before heading for your classroom, I divested myself of red, stuffing it deep in my bag, and adjusted the photo ID hanging against my gray shirt.

Last time we worked together, I helped you un-mix the mixed numbers on a worksheet, but because you resemble the son I hope to have someday, I had to remind myself not to mistake the parts for the whole.  (You have his blonde hair, just a shade brighter than mine was when I was a child, and his eyes, the same shade as my grandmother’s.)

We aren’t supposed to talk about what you did or didn’t do.  “War stories,” the staff calls them.  And you aren’t supposed to know my life beyond the symbols on the page.  But I can’t breathe without color, and you are so quiet—you must be suffocating, too. 

To save us both, I turned every problem into a joke, broke the black numbers out of their cages and aimed for the whole pink of your smile.  We finished figuring in the bright realm of metaphors and similes, and as we parted, your shy laughter burst inside me like golden kernels of popping corn.

Today, it was taxes. Your peers arrived before you, spilling into the room with their hands down their government-issued khakis, their solid green t-shirts sagging from their thin shoulders or stretched across their bellies.  They grabbed the backs of the plastic chairs Mr. G and I had so carefully arranged, and as they always do, dragged the seats into new positions so they could throw up their feet, lean back and close their eyes against the ceiling like they were at the shore warming under a hot orange sun rather than inside prison chilling beneath the electric glare of fluorescent lights.  “Six on the floor,” we reminded them, and they took their time setting their soles down, gradually leaning up so that all four legs of the chair came to rest squarely on the carpet.

Mr. G began the lesson, passing out W-4s and asking who had ever had a job.  Sly, toothy grins greeted each other.  “Yeah, I got a job, but I ain’t never filled out one of these,” one boy said, and suddenly the word “cartel” was bouncing around the room like a beach ball.  Everyone was laughing, and I looked quickly to the young guard in the doorway, but she only straightened her back.

Minutes ticked by, and I wondered why you hadn’t yet joined us.  Were you with the nurse?  A counselor?  A visitor?  Had you opted to stay in your cell?

While Mr. G gave instruction on the importance of understanding the W-4, I helped the others taking tests on the computers.  One, who introduced himself to me at the start of class by offering his hand for a shake—which I accepted virtually, explaining that I was not allowed to touch anyone there—loudly declared his autism over and over again, hoping, perhaps, I would take pity on him and give him what he wanted, but I could only give him what I am permitted to give, and it was not enough.  He sulked and waved his hand in the air, hoping to catch Mr. G’s attention, and I walked away, towards another boy, because what else could I do?

You arrived so quietly, I didn’t notice you until I turned to tell the boys at your table to stop drawing and start paying attention.  They were penciling faces on the backs of their worksheets and comparing their tags.  They glared at me when I reminded them how short a trip it was to their cells.

You were listening to the lesson, but Mr. G had to repeat himself every two minutes because everyone was so riled up.  There were fourteen all together, split between the two tables and the computers along the wall. 

Not wanting to startle you, I hovered near the corner of the table and put my hand beside your papers to let you know I was there.  “Let’s get you caught up,” I said, wondering if you’d rebuff me the way so many of the other boys did, even after they’d accepted my help on prior occasions.  But you pulled closer to the table as I knelt beside you to explain the form and the accompanying income table.  “Have you ever played Battleship?” I asked, and when you shook your head, I admit my first feeling was not pity but relief at my own station in life.  My childhood was hard, but not so hard I hadn’t played that common game.

“It’s like Battleship,” I said.  I don’t know why.  Maybe I hoped you’d suddenly recall playing the game or that you’d seen it referenced on TV.  Maybe I was hoping I could bring you this small piece of normalcy. 

I showed you how to use the information you were given to find the information you needed.  You watched quietly as I ran one finger along the top row and another down the side column and then drew my fingers down and in until they met.  “A5,” I said.  “Hit.  Sunk!”  As is true with most games, a victory in Battleship means a loss.  I wanted you to know that this time, you’d be on the winning side.

I handed you a piece of paper to use as a guide, and to my surprise, after I left you to do the remaining problems on your own, you continued using the blank paper as a guide .  That had been my intention, but none of the other boys was doing it, and I figured you might be self-conscious or worried they might bully you later for being so acquiescent.  I don’t know your role in juvie.  Are you a leader or a follower?  I pegged you as an outlier—as someone who lives and lets live, so nobody bothers you.  I watched from across the room as you flew through the worksheet like your hands were on fire.  If only you could burn through the problems in your life with such facility. 

Not long after you finished, Mr. G thanked everybody and dismissed the class.  I set about erasing the chalkboard and collecting calculators.  Reading was next, though I wasn’t sure if I’d travel to the other side of the pod with Mr. G or stay in your classroom.  I waited until both instructors were in the room, and after a brief discussion and a coin toss, it was decided I’d stay.  While setting up the computers, I asked about one of the new volunteers.  Mrs. M said she was learning, as we all were, not to care too much.  I nodded and grabbed the seat where you’d been sitting and waited for everyone to file in.

You returned from the fifteen minute break between periods with a small black bible in your hand, and I wondered if you were the same boy who told me a couple of months ago that the bible was helping you change, that you hadn’t touched it before prison but it spoke to you now and you planned to hang on for life.  I am sorry I cannot remember if it was you.  Sometimes I don’t remember names or faces.  It’s not just that I come here only once a week for a few hours—and not on in-service days or holidays or days when I have outside obligations—and that there are always boys here with blonde hair and blue eyes, it’s that I want to forget you.  I want to forget you, to have you forget me, to have this part of your life be a bad dream.  I don’t want these walls to be real for either of us. 

You should not be here, misty-faced boy with your cross-emblazoned book and slight shoulders.  I know you broke the law, but that’s not what I mean.  When I told you about the college student who told me he used to be in your seat, you told me you have two Measure 11’s under your belt.  Your hand was wrapped around your bible as you spoke.  I responded quickly, not because the gravity of what you said hadn’t hit me, but because I needed you to know the truth.  “Your life does not end here,” I said, and I’m saying it again because you need to hear it—because whatever you did, whatever fire you set, or whatever you stole, is not worth your life.  “I know,” you said, and you talked about doing well in school, and I nodded, but I wasn’t—am not—thinking about school.

“Have you read Hole in My Life?” I asked.  You remember, but I feel the need to replay the scene.  You shook your head and handed me your pencil, the one you must remember to return to the guards whenever you leave the room.  I slid my hand below your taped-on cell number and wrote the title on a slip of scratch paper.  I haven’t read the book, but a student I tutored at the writing center where I work told me all about the memoir, written by a guy who went to jail when he was just twenty years old.  He found a reason for living even as he faced the worst experience of his life.  “You have a shot at living a good life, even in here,” I told you, sliding the paper your way.  You nodded, and I stood to give you some space, but I stood close, just behind your shoulder, and watched you fold the paper into a rectangle the size of a business card and press it between your thumb and the cross on your bible.  Then class ended, and I watched you leave the room even though I wanted to chase you to your cell.  

I want to fill your head with words and music, but, as you know, music is not permitted here.  Still, I could teach you how to stomp your feet, how to feel the sun in the clap of your hands, how to make your own beat.  I want to teach you about the paradox of language, about the word “whole,” how it’s not complete without the “hole” that lives inside it.  If I could, I’d push my vest into your hands like it was a flashlight a child might hold in a storm, I’d curl your fingers around the bright fabric so you would know you are every bit as red inside, that you have all the love and ladybugs you need.




Glossary

Eschew looks like cashew, and cashews are kind of fancy nuts, and since you don't hear the word every day, you might think it's too formal for you.  But trust me, it's not, and it's totally worth using.  Eschew is a verb meaning to purposely avoid using, or to stop oneself from doing something.  You might remember it better if you know how to pronounce it.  Did you ever learn pig latin?  You would pronounce it a little bit like that.  It sounds sort of like "ass chew."  Here's an example of how you might use it: the boys in the drug treatment program must eschew drugs or else suffer a serious ass chewing.

Rebuff looks like it means to get buff again, right?  Well, if getting buff means tightening up, making yourself hard like a wall, then it makes sense.  Rebuff is a verb meaning to reject or refuse someone or something, an offer or request, in a cold or sharp way.  Example: the boys in juvie often rebuff kindness for fear they will appear weak or needy.

Acquiescent is an adjective, or describing word, that means ready to accept, or ready to do what someone else wants.  The "a" at the beginning has the same sound as the start of "accept," and the "cqui" combination sounds like "kwee," which almost sounds like kiwi, which is a delightful, soft fruit that slices easily and hardly needs to be chewed.  The rest of the word sounds like "essence" and "scent," so you might think of that fruit and how accepting it is, how gracious.

Facility is a noun we often use for a place that fulfills a particular function--like the one you're in now.  But it also means an ability to do or learn something well and easily.  If you listen closely to the end of the word, you can hear the feeling.  And if you pay attention to the first half, and put it all together, you might see how it looks and sounds like falling into ease or falling into silliness, which is easy. 

Paradox is a noun meaning a situation, person, or thing that combines opposite or conflicting features or qualities.  It's hard to understand until you think about examples like how right this moment, you and I are both living...and dying.  Or how a person can be physically locked up but still be freer than the people holding the keys.

No comments:

Post a Comment